View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Vintage blocks have got to be around $5,000 +/- and a Shelby aluminum block is essentially the same price. The CSX block adds less than a $1,000 to an FE build.

I agree with Mickmate. I started to look around for a vintage block, but: a) couldn't find a good one, and if you did, it was the price of a new alloy block, and b) the weight loss on the front end is/was crucial to me.
I think the price of vintage blocks has decreased with the introduction of the iron genesis blocks, also with the aluminum shelbyand pond blocks. I'm guessing an original block is somewhat close to an iron genesis block in price, but the genesis has thicker cylinder walls, and I believe is still 1965 date coded.

I'd get the iron genesis, or aluminum pond/shelby instead of an original block at the present time.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."