Thread: Foam based buck
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have some first hand expierence of that tech and don't recomend that for anyone ;-)

Ozgur didn't use stryrofoam for his buck and if I ever start again to build a buck again I will do it like Ozgur made his buck for slabside mold.

I have made a set of drawings (for alu body buck purpose) and have sent those to few peoples but I don't know have anyone build buck using those. I may sent those to you in pdf-format if you like to use those but remember that nobody know how near of origin shape those are or what chassis that body could be added.

If you build buck starting from these drawings I recomend that you made 1/2" plywood cutouts and just add thin plywood stripes layer (like Ozgur did) + one layer of glass matt. Some bondo/primer layers is need before you may sanding it to final shape but these are needed anyway no mater how you made buck.

If you anyway like to use foam in top layer (even I don't like that idea) and like to get good resuld you should have temp controlled space where you made foam buck because foam expand/schrik a lot if temp/humidy change and plywood don't change so much. Those cut outs "print trough" nex day even you get it fine Today if temp change (I add several bondo layer to buck but even that those cutouts print trough).

If you (or anyone here) like to use same tech for some other car model I may also explain more about how I made those plywood cutout drawings etc.

BR
Jouni

Ps. That buck what I made was used as a part of "small campfire" and it burn wery well, so no more new pic available from that;-)