View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

A little more info about the Brake Tests relative especially to New South Wales.

My biggest tip is to arrive there first. I arrived on time at 8.30am, but there were two Clubman's there in front of me. Each car takes about 2 hours to test so it was nearly 1pm by the time my turn came around and the temperature had risen to about 44 C. Not a tap in sight either, so if your going in Summer, take plenty of supplies.

The Engineer then assembles various computers onto the passenger's seat and places three large sand bags on the nearside foot well to simulate the weight of a passenger. He then drives the car alone.

Incidentially, the Test is now done from 100 kph and NOT 160kph.

The first test and the most grueling on the car is a series of 10 crash stops from 100kph, measured from a defined point. This is the 'Fade Test' and really got those rotors red hot on such a warm day.

For the the next test, the front brake hoses are clamped and the Engineer does 4 crash stops from 100kph, each one mesured and logged, with only the rear brakes working.

Next test involves unclamping the front brake lines and clamping the rears, doing 4 crash stops from 100kph with only the front brakes working.

Next test involves re-connecting all brake lines and disconnecting the booster to simulate a 'Booster Failure'. He then does one crash stop from 100kph and records the data.

Oran Park closes for good tomorrow and the race track will be replaced with State Government Landcom Housing lots for sale. I was lucky to get done.

The Tests were conducted on the Grand Prix Go Kart Circuit for which we were charged $1,600 shared by the three of us who were having our vehicles tested.

I suppose Sydney-Siders who are still to have Brake Tests conducted will now have to travel to Wakefield or pay a small fortune for Eastern Creek.

I hope this information helps someone else who is about to experience this interesting aspect of a 'Build.'

Baz