View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ripepi View Post
Page 4 of the article linked above.......It is on the ERA website and download in PDF to your system will get your own copy for future reference.

http://www.erareplicas.com/history/scg_427/index.htm

In the street the engine is an out-of-the-box Grand National 427. fitted with two AFB Holley carburetors as used in the Mustang. These have fairly small primary venturis and big secondaries. Thus the street Cobra is fed gently at the outset and is, if nothing, more docile than the 289, if one remembers that the first throttle stop is only a detent to remind you that the big secondary vents are about to open. On the race car the feeding is done by one great huge Holley 780 CFM as used on NASCAR machinery, sitting in a bathtub-like cold air box. Even this one s fairly docile at first, but it comes on much more rapidly. The carburetors on the dual set-up tend to flood or starve on very tight turns; the big single, with its concentric float, does not - most definitely not.
Copy and pasted......TR
I can't verify any of this. However I can verify the info about Mustangs is WRONG. They never used an AFB. The Shelby 'stangs used Holleys and the only AFB's I recall were on the early dual quad 289 Cobra intakes. Later they went to Holleys as well. Illustrating that magazine writers aren't all that well informed/knowledgable.
As I re-read it I realize it said AFB Holley. My apologies...I don't know about those, I'm only familiar with the Carter AFB.

Last edited by Woodz428; 01-27-2010 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: addition