Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Why posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
I find this thread confusing. Why even ask the original question? Was Pete Brock getting a commission on each SPF unit sold with his name on it? If not then I don't see the problem. Hi-Tech Automotive continues to produce/sell the CSX9000 coupes (formerly known as the SPF Brock Coupe and the SPF Daytona Coupe), so as far as I can tell no one's getting screwed. Maybe just the customer, who now has to pay a bit extra for the Shelby name, but otherwise...
The reason I asked is that I remember all the articles and talk about Brock wanting no part of a another clone of the Daytona Coupe until going to SA and visiting the factory, seeing the level of quality and being persuaded to design a new car. That Brock wanted the original chassis engineer involved, and that he wanted to make, not another replica, but a better car, the one he wished he could have built back then.

Then there were the big advertisements and test drives in the magazines about the "New Brock Coupe". Soon after that, nothing. And now they are building and selling the "Shelby Coupe" with little mention of Brock.

So, is the car that is now called the Shelby/Daytona Coupe the new Brock design or is it a replica of one of the originals? From the replies so far, it sounds to me like it is the NEW car that Brock designed and that Shelby cut Brock out, and is getting the royalties. (Of course Brock would have received payment for his work, either a lump sum payment, or more likely a set fee per vehicle) I can guess that The Salesman threatened to sue like he so often has done in order to cut Brock out and get his name put in. And no doubt the royalties that he gets on everything.

Sad what he has become.
(sort of like what would have been remembered of Elvis if he had lived longer)

I just hope that Brock gets credit and reaps the rewards for his design.

As for putting AC out of business, there are always many contributing factors I agree. But Shelby certainly didn't help the company that supplied the cars that made him famous. Climbing the ladder by stepping on others is not the best way to be remembered.

Which does raise the question, what does Pete Brock have to say about his old boss and friend? Probably nothing publicly as Brock is a real nice guy.

James