View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Remington was a major contributing player in the success story, but I can't shake the feeling that the outcome would have been similar even if some of the periphal names were different.

Basic ingredients:

CARROLL SHELBY was committed to his goal.

AC was the perfect candidate for more than one reason - it was no fluke that they were chosen.

GM already had the Vette and were not interested. Ford had no sportscar and were more receptive.

So here we already have the basic Cobra coming together as an AC Ace modified to accept Ford power.

Evolution and develpoment:

Shelby was an experienced and talented racer so he has a feel for what it would take to make the car perform. He hired people to make it happen. If they didn't deliver results, they would have been replaced with people that could.

Street cars needed to be sold, Shelby's a natural Snake oil salesman and the Cobra hype began.

Shelby recruited drivers who could put the car in the winners circle. The car was light and fast. There was no shortage of talented drivers (then or now) and once again - If they didn't deliver results, they would have been replaced with people that could.

Chevy skunkworks deployed the Gran Sport (sp?) Vettes in Nassau. Shelby's feathers were ruffled and the big block Cobra was concieved.

The Ace body/chassis is what it is and the necessary modifications to accomodate the big block engine were pretty much academic. Hence the Cobra we know and love today.

Shelby's magic dust and snake oil cement the big block Cobra's rep as the fastest production car in the world.

The saga of the Texan in bib overalls taking on the world has mass media and popular appeal.

The car is brutally fast, and as an accident of it's roots and subsequent practical modifications, is stunningly beautiful yet stark and simple in execution. As a result, the Cobra goes on to become the most replicated shape in automotive history.

The purpose here was not to post an oversimplified Cobra chronology. I attempt to show that once the ball was set in motion, the evolution of the Cobra , driven by Shelby's ambition and influenced by the conditions and developments of the day, followed a fairly logical and predictable path. Shelby knew what he wanted to accomplish and the other factors were made to fall into place. As for the other people who without question played significant roles - yes they did - but arguably and with no disrespect, they were not likely the only people around at the time who could do what they did. Shelby was the only one who approached AC and Ford with a persuasive idea.

All things considered, I believe that Shelby wanted something real bad and he amassed the team and the resources to make it happen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-06-2010 at 05:57 AM..