View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Good thread here, guys.

I have the adjustable QA1s and noticed rattling the beginning of last season. What I found was that the hardware used to mount the shocks were metric, as were the holes in the shock mounts. The roller must have come with AVOs and since the car is made in SA, most if not all hardware is metric. Upon assembly, many upgrades were specified by the original owner (I'm 2nd), including shocks and various powerplant options. The QA1s are american so the inserts in the bushings are std. The assembler must have used the original hardware kits (I'm not naming names). Go figure. I had to drill out the mounting holes and use std. bolts (a good time to upgrade to hardened bolts and correct length) so the threads cleared the holes. Just something to look out for. The rubber bushings in the shocks were elongated from the little slop that was occurring. The rubber bushing and inserts can be purchased from QA1 direct or from Jegs, etc. I also opted to replace the springs with progressives from Carerra. It makes for a very soft, comfortable ride at cruise and then hardens up when you hook up on acceleration or in hard cornering situations or track days. The dampening knob is set at 4th click. I can dig up the part #s if anyone's interested...

(pic)The offending shock mount bushing and brackets.
12mm bolts into 1/2" bushing sleeves=slop and rattles. So I had to drill out the bracket holes and replace the bolts with the proper 1/2" hardened bolts.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg