Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoore2003 View Post
I will see you Saturday.

My problem with the aluminator is **from what I've lightly read** is that it needs force induction to really develop power over 400HP. I just really like the light weight of Ford's all aluminum engines. I have one in my 99 cobra now.

Phil
I you really want to save money and weight I don't see how the Aluminator would be an option, or at least cheaper than a FR crate engine. The list price of the Aluminator long block is $6700 and this does not include the intake, blower, accessory drive, wiring, ECM, heat exchanger, or other misc stuff needed to get this engine running. Your best bet would be to buy a wrecked 03/04' Cobra and use that as a donor car for all of the parts. Otherwise you will spend another $5K in a KB/Whipple blower and misc parts to get it running.

Plus this engine is not light, despite the aluminum block. The DOHC 4.6L engines are wider than a FE (I think they are wider than an original SOHC motor). A fully dressed Aluminator engine will be over 700 lbs not counting the extra plumbing for the heat exchanger and wiring/ecm.

I would think that the special Vintage is offering right now is going to be really hard to beat, unless you luck into someone just needing to dump their car for quick cash.