View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     
Default VIC - the winds of change

As part of my continuing recon into committing myself to a build, I had a phone conversation this morning with a well known, well liked, well used VASS engineer that has engineered more than a couple of Cobra's on this forum down here in Vic. My questions started around engine choice, and I was blown away by what he had to say.

They have just recently received advice from VicRoads that the rules are about to change......and an ICV will be able to use ANY engine from 1997 onwards (sorry you blokes that rushed your LS1's through, turns out there wasn't any real hurry!). The but, and there is a but, is that whatever engine you use (even if it's a 2010 model 4 cylinder) will need to undergo a cut-down version of the full ADR emissions test. There is currently only one place in Victoria that can do this test, some company in Port Melbourne (not Holden, but I can't remember the name), cost for this test according to the VASS engineer should be about $500-$600. The aim of the emissions test is to ensure compliance with ADR 3701, you could technically use a carby if you wanted to, as long you pass ADR 3701.

I enquired about mandatory ESC, and the feeling is that ICV's will definately be exempt from that, no problem. There is nothing in writing yet from VicRoads, and probably won't be until someone actually tries to register an ICV after the introduction of mandatory ESC.

This is all of course meaningless to all you blokes who are already registered, but the engine point is interesting nonetheless.

Ben