View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

I think my favorite so far was when they took the Old Man's Lincoln that he had parked out back for years and was going to restore it to have it restored as a present for him. He walked out, saw it gone and almost crapped when they told him it was just sitting there rotting down and they had sold it to make some room. Then when it was delivered back all restored and really nice, he was almost at a loss for words. And I do like seeing some of the really old things that some people bring in. Especially the ones that after they have their experts examine them and find out they are worth a lot then change their mind and won't sell.

Ron
We were channel surfing last weekend and a lady with a bell from a shipwreck came in. The pawn guy was pretty sure it wasn't real so had his expert come in (how many of them will actually do that). He said it certainly was real, and that it was worth quite a bit (I think it was about 6K). She said she'd brought it to get rid of it because she was tired of kicking it around and ended up selling it to him for about 4K. That was better than the 300 that she was offered originally. It does pay to push back...

I expect that if the cameras weren't there they would have bought it for 300 and sold it for 6000...

Someone also brought in a little Indian kids toy scooter. Again, they weren't going to give the guy anything for it. Then he said that he knew there were only a few hundred of them in existence. Again, the "expert" said "Yep, probably worth about 12K". He sold it and they restored it. Took a little more work to restore than they thought (engine couldn't be rebuilt), frame needed rewelding, but boy did it look sweet when it was done. Again, if the cameras weren't running...