View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Coolant system leak repair questions.

Ever since I acquired my new Dove Tunnel Wedge 2x4 manifold for my KC Pond 482 I've been plaque with internal coolant leaks due to the age-old & infamous Dove casting porosity problems. FYI ... I had a BT427MR 1x4 on it for over a year prior to with zero coolant leaks so I'm sure it's TW manifold related. When I first noticed the coolant leak (valve cover milk shakes) I returned it to the vendor (not Keith Craft) for repairs. After spending a large chunk-o-change having it repaired (die grinding, welding and machining), then reinstalling it still leaked.. By recommendation of a couple of our trusted FE builders, I added some block leak sealant to the coolant since the leak was very, very small. The short of that story is it worked. At this point in time the coolant system is tighter than Dick's hat-band. To me a coolant system sealant is a "Band-Aide" and not a permanent and correct fix. I've got a ton of cash invested in the manifold, custom porting, decked and angle milled so the ports line up p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y once it's torqued down. That being said I really don't want to pitch it and start from scratch again, especially with the chance of receiving another Dove turd again. I want to fix the darn thing for once and for all..

Since the coolant system passage in the Tunnel Wedge is relatively short and readily accessible I was pondering the thought of having the passage coated. Coatings considered are ceramic, melted bowling balls (no kidding, came highly recommended), glyptal (prone to delaminating from aluminum) and epoxy processes.

Since the original repairer only pressure tested it to around 20 psi (IMO, not sufficient pressure) and made repairs from those findings I was thinking of taking it down and pressure testing it to around 100 psi myself. I've made a couple of 5/8" plate steel block-off plates to cover the water ports. I would probably accomplish this first, prior to the coolant passage coating process.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations on the subject.

Give me hell Rick..

Dave