Thread: FE Timing
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb169 View Post
thanks for the help guys. rev limit set at 6000, double checked firing order, I didn't know the hyfire box was programmable. I don't see anything on Mallory's site for programing. I also had the box a couple of years before I used it during the build. Car just got titled last fall and put away before we got all of the kinks out. So I'm starting with a new build at this point. Other than slow runs to 50 mph I haven't pushed it during break in.
And yes if I was deaf I can feel it missing We changed plugs, reset valves, checked compression, and changed carbs. I'm begining to think I have a bad box too. Anyway to check it? Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
One simple, non-invasive test is to put a pyrometer (you know, one of those little point and shoot infra-red thermometers that you buy at Home Depot for about $40) on each of the primaries about an inch or two away from the head. Do this after you have been running it and it has been mis-firing. See if there is any obvious temperature change with one or two of the exhaust primaries thus indicating that cylinder is not firing consistently with the others. That will at least tell you if the problem is symptomatic of all the cylinders or just one or two. But considering this is a brand new engine, I wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot of work to get it to run right.