Thread: Roller CAM -FE
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

The cam type vs. engine type discussion is why I chose a hyd roller. As the owner of a couple of Boss 302s I know a little about revving and I love the tic tic tic sound of a solid cam as well. But the 3" stroke of a Boss is NOTHING like the 4.5" stroke of a big inch FE. Hell, my Boss heads flow as much as my ported Ebock FE heads and they feed 160ci less displacement. This being my first FE, I did allot of reading before I made my choices and all talk of zinging FEs into the 7k+ rpm range on a regular basis should just stop unless it's drag racing only. What were the GT40MkIIs turning down the Mulsanne straight? 5800 rpm or so? And that was with a stock stroke 427. Why on earth would you try to rap out a stroker FE? That being said; without that high rpm (7k+) the need for a solid cam is gone, from an operational perspective that is, and your left with the "I like solids!" argument without any other reason than "it sounds cool." Don't get me wrong, in the world of replicas that is a valid argument/desire; just don't confuse it with an engine requirement.

Steve