View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     
Default I can't stand Ma. As my car nears completion I now facing the real possibility I may

have to sell it b/c I can't register it. There is no way it will pass the MAC center BS they need. Check this out. I guess i should of lloked into this first. I just didn't see it coming

Massachusetts defines crate engines as “new” even when they reflect 1965-era technology, and a vehicle with one installed must be brought up to 2009 standards with catalytic converters and other equipment. Likewise, if a vintage engine is used, say a 1990 302 Mustang donor, all the equipment in the original 1990 Mustang configuration must be added to the Roadster, like EGR, catalytic converters, vapor canister, air pump and (probaby) the stock manifold.

In Massachusetts, since the year of the car is, in effect, defined by the engine, a 1965 replica can only be licensed as such with a vintage 1965 engine and matching engine IDs. It is therefore extremely difficult to qualify as a classic or antique car that is not subject to emission restrictions (that is, grandfathered) in Massachusetts unless a pre-1970 engine is installed first.

A bill (called "SEMA" legislation because it mirrors other bills passed under lobbying pressure from SEMA) was passed by the Massachusetts legislature but vetoed by Governor Patrick. There are current attempts underway to pass a SEMA-like bill again and avoid another veto.

If you must register the vehicle in MA, I recommend you fully understand all the regulations. Other Massachusetts-based builders can also provide guidance ... you might try also posting in the NE regional forum.