View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default DCDoug -- One more tip on 1st time valve adjusting

Doug, I meant to tell you this on the last thread, but forgot it. For years I used a simple remote starter switch to bump the engine over while doing the valves. When I didn't have my switch (or just couldn't find it in the basement) I used the aluminum jack handle. After a thread last year on having to tighten the pressure plate bolts in an aluminumn flywheel (which you do through the clutch fork hole and you have to bump the engine over a few dozen times before you get the bolts lined up right), I was chastised by some of the folks on here who had chipped off flywheel teeth. And while that's never happened to me, using the jack handle method is probably the safer way to go. The tools involved are a decent half-inch ratchet wrench, a 15/16" deep socket, and the handle off your aluminum jack. That makes rotating your engine a lot easier than using a breaker bar (which doesn't ratchet). You don't have to remove the plugs either. Here are some shots I took today since it was so pretty outside.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 11:33 AM..