Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
What would be your choice, for a 482 or 496 cu. side oiler for a radical street/highway (as we travel some) valvetrain ? Just curious Brent.

Solid roller or hydro.?

In my sold 428, I had a solid flat tappet, 252/260 600 lift. 400 RWHP, and I need more,.... much more. l

New engine 600-650 HP & TQ.
Pump gas.
Single plane
900-1050 cfm carb.

This will be my almost,...... dream engine. Wish I could afford the Dynatek or TWM, EFI. That would make it my dream.

Depends on how much maintenance you want to put up with. As the revs go up, spring pressures go up, cam lobes get wilder. That means that springs wear out quicker and if you're running a solid roller, you'll have to check lash once or twice a year plus do a lifter inspection every so many miles. That mileage interval has went up to about 10000 miles with the pressure fed lifters, but it's all relative and subjective of course.

If you want a maintenance free engine, go with a hydraulic roller. With 496ci, you can get your 600hp and not have to stress the engine or spin it up.

If you get funny feelings in your pants when you think about spinning 6500-7000 then of course only a solid roller will suffice. If 5500-6000 does the trick, then I would lean towards the juice stick. If I were doing this engine for a customer, I would make them outline specifically what their needs, wants, and leaning-towards' were. It's all subjective until you have a goal in mind.

Chas, not with FE's....only with small blocks. Good products though.