View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It's all based on horsepower and how much you can put up with.

A clutch kit works off of pressure plate force and the clutch disc material. If you have less disc friction, you need more clamping force. If you have less clamping force, you need a stickier disc.

I can provide clutches that are easy on the clutch foot and have great streetability up to about 550hp. Over that, then the disc material gets a little on the wild side and they have a greater possibility of chattering.

In my opinion, a twin disc clutch would be preferential in two situations:

1. You can't stand chatter or a heavy clutch pedal.

2. You're over 650 fwhp.

The twin discs are rather expensive. A good McLeod dual friction clutch setup runs around $425-450 depending on what size you need. A McLeod RST twin disc runs about $700 (plus you have to buy a throw out bearing). So it's not quite twice the cost, but it's a bump up. However, the pedal pressure is very easy, and the discs have organic friction materials on both sides, so they won't chatter.

For most Cobras that I've provided setups for (a LOT of customers are between 500-550hp), a dual friction disc setup works really well. For FE's and Windsors, I'll do an 11" Long pressure plate (RAM or Mcleod) with a dual friction (500 series McLeod or 900 series RAM) disc. The pedal pressure is not bad and there's a lot of grip. For 302's and 302 strokers, I'll do a 10.5" diaphragm plate and a dual friction disc.

A lot of problems that Cobra guys have with pedal pressure stems from their hydraulic master/slave setup. A lot of clutch master cylinders have a very large bore and it makes for a heavy pedal. I've had best luck with a 3/4" master cylinder. It provides a good pedal with adequate travel.

Last edited by blykins; 04-16-2010 at 03:04 PM..