View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default chain fall IS better...done it both ways...!

Undy et, al.

A chain fall will raise/lower the engine more or less up/down in a STRAIGHT LINE.

A "shop crane", aka "cherry picker"...what you are lifting will move up/down and ALSO in a ARC. It will tend to get the engine "swinging" a bit.

To use the cherry picker best find the C/G "center or gravity" of your engine/chain harness attachment. That will minimize swinging as you go up/down. A floor jack or dolly wheels under the front of the car helps move the front of the car exactly where you need it.

If you HAVE to use the shop crane/cherry picker try to do it on smooth cement, not rough asphalt.

Did the engine in my 289 Cobra with the cherry picker. Never again.

Used a CHAIN HOIST on my friends ERA 427. Much safer/easier.

Engine/bellhousing went pretty much STRAIGHT UP/DOWN...very little swinging and easy to control. Helped to be on smooth cement, as we used the floor jack to reposition the front of the car. Cake walk.

I will NOT use a cherry picker again for the engine/bellhousing on my 289 FIA Cobra. Three experienced gearheads...went well...but was a real pain.

If you have the option, rig a chain hoist for engines.

Regardless of method...LOTS of cardboard/padding/duct tape to protect the body. Pizza, and cokes help...beer is later. Either way, get help...work carefully...then drink heavily.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027