View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Back to your original question, I have used temporary post and beam setups in several homes I have lived in over the years. The system I used was a 4x6 or 4x8 beam with framing clips nailed or screwed on each side to the beam, then to the trusses or ceiling joists. Then I used 4x4 leg posts with metal end caps that can be screwed through the end caps to the 4X beam. This system can easily be taken down and stored when not in use. You just take everything down except the four framing clips on the ceiling. I had used this system for years without problems. I now use a cherry picker in my present shop. They both have their pros and cons.

There is one other system that works very well if you have trusses in the garage. Forty years ago I had an uncle that had a marina and he worked on ski boats. When he built his shop he put 1/2" plywood on one side of two of the trusses in the center of the shop. He glued the plywood with construction adhesive and nailed it 6" OC on the edges and the field. He then framed a header in between the two trussed to hang a chain. He could lift a 18" inboard ski boat off the trailer with that set up. You have to make sure the door header is large enough to handle whatever you are lifting though. His shop was sheet rocked so the only thing you saw was a trimmed out attic out crawl hole with a lid until he needed to lift something, and then he just slid the cover back and attached his chain hoist to the chain on the header. A few years later I built the same system in a home I built. I must have pulled 50 engines in that garage.

Wayne