View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

We have and use cherry pickers for most every engine change at the shop, where room is not an issue. Here at my house, I have a single garage and driveway. Plus, the boom on the cherry picker is not long enough, to reach the engine from the front !

At the shop, we come in from the side. Driving the cobra out to the sprint car shop, which is in the country and all gravel roads, will never happen. In the past, I have unloaded everything in the enclosed sprint car trailer, put the cobra in, put everything back in for the sprint racing, and all over again when the engine work was done with the cobra. Not doing that anymore, it's time consuming and a BIG hassle.

I don't think there's any need to get extreme of figuring out the engineering, with the 600-700 lb. load the engine will put on the ceiling joists. Especially with the side wall top.bottom plate's and headers on the the outside wall and the apposing inside wall going downstairs in the house. The span is short. I don't believe that the attic area in a home can not handle the weight. How many people put hundreds if not thousands of weight of junk up there with no issues. As long as the weight of a timber is long enough to spread the weigh, it should be fine.

If I were pulling many engines out year around, I would build a better working system, but since this is once in a great while, it shouldn't be a problem. The trolley is great, but not for a small home garage.

Hot Rodders and car guys have been doing this in their home garage's for eon's.

Bob, how long is your boom ?

I agree that the chain hoist is better for control, just straight up and not trying to move the cherry picker around. That's a better piece of mind for me.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 04-18-2010 at 02:06 PM..