View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When adjusting the spring on the shocks you need to jack up the wheel to release pressure on the spring, it will make it MUCH easier to turn the adjusting screw. When it comes to corner balance it is very time consuming and may involve jacking up, jacking back down, rolling the car to settle the wieght, it can be quite involved. The scales have to be PERFECTLY level or you WILL not get an accurate reading. Tire pressure changes will impact the corner weight settings, it is very sensitive. Add your weight to the drivers seat.

I recently adjusted and equaled the ride height on my ERA. I had to raise the rear about a half inch to get clearance for the slicks I'm running. I don't have access to four wheel scales, which would be nice, but FIRST step is to get equal ride height side to side and then go from there. I'll be taking the ERA to a local shop for the final corner weight setup, the guy has the scales.

I don't know about the "number of turns" per inch of lift, I just kept turning and measuring from the FRAME to the FLOOR. Do not measure using any part of the body itself. Another measurment I took, on the rear, was the distance from the bottom of the spring to the top of the adjustable shock setting valve. Because I have twin shocks per side with the Jag IRS I wanted to be sure I had both shocks turned up (or down) exactly the same amount. I didn't have to turn them very much to gain a 1/2", by the way.

When I was done I had a slight "rack" to the car, as recommended by ERA, and it looks right. The front slightly lower than the rear.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-20-2010 at 07:52 AM..