View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428 View Post
It is the pin end that needs to be considered. I'm pretty certain that the M/400 have larger diameter pins than the Cleveland/Windsor. If you plan on busing them, that would take care of the diameter variation but the pistons would need be compatible with pin locks.
Rod journal sizes are the same, as are mains but pistons configuration is where you may have problems. Of course these type of problems are easily corrected with $$. It may be cheaper to have the pistons opened to the M/400 pin size and retain pressfit rods.

Thanks guys, so far I've found that the rod journal size is the same for the 351-W and the 351M/400, read were you use the same piston as used for a 331 stroker for the pin height, trying to confirm this. KB makes a flat top piston for this application, which one is the question......According to what I've read so far, you use the 351-W crank, just change the rods and pistons........the rod and crank journals are the same size in the 351-W and the 351M/400 engines....351M/400 rods are about 1/2 inch longer and beefier........hence the need for a shorter piston.

This is a super budget rebuild, so far, he'll have to bore the block (has about .020 wear in the cylinders), we have two running 351M's at our disposal, all we have to do is go get them.So the rods are free,main thing is to find out exactly which piston we need and we should be good to go....
Woodz,from what I can gather, there is a flat top piston out there for this combo that is pressed-pin fit, just trying to find out which one...

Reports on other sites were very good on this combo, especially for heavy trucks/4x4's like his, where low rpm, good torque is needed...

Even had a few Mustang drag racers using this combo with very good results....It seems like an easy and inexpensive way to build a stump puller engine, which is what he's looking far, and with a new baby on the way as well as a new house fixin to start up, his budget for this is non-existant.......

Sure wish I could find someone had done this so I could pick his brain for the little details to do......

We're gonna re-use pretty much erveything else, heads/intake etc.,etc., about the only other thing is a new hydraulic cam......

Thanks again;

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 04-26-2010 at 01:08 PM..