View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Is the 351M the same deck hieght as the 400M?

I heard the 351M is the same deck as the 351C -- believe little that you hear.
Yes, the 351M acutally uses the same block as the 400, don't know about the 351C........
We have an older parts house here in town that still does things the old fashion way, by looking things up in the books, not on a computer, they let me go behind the counter and look thru the books doing research and they also have "inter-change" books for varouis manufacters.....

I went thru them the other day checking part numbers and such and the only difference in the 351M and 400 is the crankshaft and pistons...all other parts are common to both engines...also, in my research, it was stated that in 1971, Ford could not meet production needs with the 351W engines,so the 351M was built at another plant to fill the need for 351 cu in engines for cars and trucks...shortly afterwards when production met/exceeded demand for the 351 engines, they decided to up it to 400 cu in, easiest way was to stroke the 351M, so they did, all was needed was a 4 inch stroke crankshaft and new pistons, the block was beefed up enough from the begining to accomadate the 4 inch stroke without any modifications, whereas, the 351 W could not handle a 4 inch stroke without modifying the block, so the 400 was born, very inexpensively.....

In july of 1978, four months before I married my wifey, she ordered a new T-Bird and her dad talked her into getting the 400 cu in 2V motor instead of the standard 302, he liked big motors, so she did....

It was a good motor, nothing great, but a good motor, the only thing I found was it seemed "slow" to rev up and get up to speed" when you stood on the gas pedal, but then again, in 1978,it was a heavily smogged engine.....in November of that year we were married and went to Florida on our honeymoon and I remember the car getting 17 mpg on the interstate cruising at 75mph, not bad at the time comparing it to other big heavy cars.....

David