View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RAM, 5.0L with ST10 4 spd
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your reply Merv and Gav.

Merv my motor is a A9L holden 304 from a group A HDT. It is carbureted and fairly original at this stage.

Gav, prior to ignition I do have the light which extinguishes after ignition, but on my last drive the light came back on while driving. As mentioned earlier I think this is due to a flat battery which was not receiving any charge whilst driving.

What has me stumped is that as soon as the thermo fan kicks in the alternator starts to feed current back to the battery. So my thinking is as the thermo fan relay is connected directly to the alternator, maybe this is the cause for no current flowing untill it receives the signal to open the circuit? My electornics knowledge is limited so I may be way of the mark.

Merv, as you suggested, I plan on going to the auto electrician, but untill then I would like to have a go at tracing the problem. The more I can learn, the better I will feel.

I guess the first thing to try will be to isolate the thermo circuit totally and see if this have any effect, and if it does then look closely to see if it set up corectly.

If this is not the problem, can anyone advise as to how to check the alternator out ?