View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2864 MK III ROUSH 427R
Not Ranked     

My son and I both have the 427R in our SPFs. They run very well. Depending on the previous owner, plan on tuning the carb or having it tuned by a pro. We have both installed Pro System Carbs, because the carbs from Roush have been modified by Roush a slight bit and do not adjust as well as if they were a stock Holley. In addition the carb from Pro Systems will wake the horses up so to speak. Big difference in throttle response and overall performance.

When was the last time you owned or maintained an automobile with a carb--a high performance engine with a carb? For the most part they run way different than the fuel injected, turbo charged and supercharged computer controlled autos most of us are used to driving on a daily basis, so expect the fuel available, weather, temp and barometric pressure to cause the 427R to run a bit different on differnt days and at different elevations.

We did not encounter engine stumble or dying when stopping even with the orig carb. Because of the cam overlap, the vacuum for the vacuum assisted brakes may not be sufficient when at idle or when you pump the brakes as you approach a stop. I new this ahead of time so we installed vacuum pumps to solve this problem. Stops without an issue.

Some guys report that the cars buck when at low speeds like 15 or 25mph. Ours do that too if you are not in 1st gear at those speeds. My warmed over Z06 and my sons 604RWHP Mustang Cobra the same thing. High performance engines come with some drive ability issues attached. Fee free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.