View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by concobra View Post
Hello David

May I ask the motivation for using the longer rod?

Thanks
Concobra

A number of reasons, some "just because", but here they are.

We've got a running 351-W(needs rebuilt badly), we've got 2 running 351M engines free for the taking.

Engine is for a mid 80's (big) Bronco, hunting truck,ie., kinda big tires....This heavy truck needs a low to mid rpm engine with high torque in the lower rpm range.
This would be a relatively in-expensive rebuild/upgrade which fits the budget or lack of a budget.

My niece's husband ran across a article about this type engine and all reports were good, and that it made more torque and at a lower rpm than a "standard" 351-W, all other things being equal, so it got his attention and sounds good.....

I'm not an engineer, but claims of a longer rod, makes more torque, something to do with the "dwell" time of the piston at TDC and BDC, I've read the technical stuff and pretty much understand what they are saying and have to rely on the engineers expertise and accept that as true....

In my research on this particular engine, I have not seen one bad report. Checking other sites, I was suprised at the number of people that have built this engine and so far, all have nothing but good to say about it.......

I suggested a mild 393 stroker, he just doesn't have the money right now for that......so this one fits the case $$$$ wise and should give him more off-idle torque for the heavy 4x4.....

Other than that, we (myself/niece's husband) have never built one like this before,so it's kinda like an expirement for both of us to try....

David