View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

In another "small world" scenario, a group of Cobra owners returning from a tour in TX three weeks ago happened to stop at a gas station to tank up in the small town of Ft. Stockton, TX. One of them, Fred Galloway, who was towing CSX 2270, wasn't at all surprised by a local asking him, "Say, what kind of car is that?" as he gets the question frequently. He responded, "It's a Cobra." "Well," said the fellow,"I know that, but who made it?" "Shelby American!" Fred told him. "SO," said the man,"it's a real one, eh?" And then he added, "I've got one of those." When asked about its number, he calmly replied, "It's 3050, and if you have the time, you're welcome to take a look at it, as it's no more than three miles from here." Fred and the rest of the crew were under the gun, however, trying to make the hotel reservations they had another few hundred miles away, and couldn't take Jack up on his offer. I met the crew later several hours west of Ft. Stockton and had to chuckle at the coincidence of 4 Cobra owners meeting a fifth purely by chance at an out-of-the-way fuel stop in rural Texas. Sometimes, reality is stranger than fiction. And Jack, the guys would have loved to take you up on your offer - how about a rain-check?