View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Red face

Just a bit more background to this and a few other things to consider:

Identifying the need to raise the outside mounting point was actually pretty easy, and dissapointing the manufacturer had not taken the necessary steps to design the rear better. Basically I jacked the car up on a level surface, took the shock off and raised the suspension through the full range of travel from full droop to full bump. I started with 0deg toe at full droop, and at 20mm increment while jacking up the suspension, wound the toe arm in or out in order to maintain 0 toe, keeping track of the revised toe arm length.

I drew this all up in a cad package, and from each of the points on the arc created by moving the suspension up and adjusting the toe arm, drew a series of arcs, that intersected at a point approx 35mm below the inboard mounting point for the toe arm. Unfortunately due to the design there it is difficult to move the inner mounting point down the necessary amount, so moving the mounting point on the toe arm up is the easier solution.

I took a slightly different approach with mine, and machined the top of the toe arm at right angles to the brake disk, so the riser stayed vertical and doesnt interfere with the disk. I think an advantage of this is that with a bolt and spacers I can fine tune a little down the track - I plotted a similar chart to Mikes above and got slightly different results too. As no two CR's seem to be the same the ability to fine tune might be advantageous. Either way though it is a bloody easy fix to get a 90% improvement.

I have also found on the rear I have too much negative camber even at full adjustment of the top arm. Again a symptom of the cabbage patch kit syndrome. I think down the track I will make some tubular lower arms like Mikes to allow for a better adjustment there as well. Im curious if anyone else has the same issue on the rear of their CR's?

Cheers