View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default BDR Alternator/Turn Signal? Anomaly

A few weeks ago I had to replace my turn signal switch on the steering column, and it has worked fine ever since. However, just lately, I've noticed that my single-wire Powermaster 100-amp alternator goes off line, often when using the turn signals--primarily the left signal. I also note that there is a larger "needle wag" on the voltmeter than there used to be when the turn signals are on and the alternator is still up and running.

So, I checked the terminals at both ends of the alternator charge wire (at the alternator and at the start motor solenoid) but that did not do the trick.

Last night I took off the steering wheel and removed the turn signal assembly to check for obvious wire chafing or shorting (there is a pinch point between the steering column and where the wiring goes thru the dashboard cutout for the steering column, and would be a good place to short), did not see any, but carefully re-applied heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape to protect the area plus enlarged the area a little. This morning I pulled the flasher unit, to see if replacing it would make a difference.

Has anyone else experienced something like this, and/or does anyone have useful suggestions on other things to check?

Thanks!

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"