View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SC427 Red w/White stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Beware of CA registration!!

I purchased an SC427 from the original owner in 2004. It already had a BAR referee label from 1994 indicating an SB100 exemption but DMV required me to obtain a smog cert for the change of title (even after arguing for 30 minutes). It has always been registered in CA. My title shows Year model as "0000". Somehow, someone down at DMV headquarters changed the year model to 2004 on the registration and now kicking out a biennial smog cert required. I have been to 5 different DMV offices and spoke to each and every manager to explain their mistake. ALL of them are telling me that the SB100 that was isssued in 1994 is now called "Certificate of Sequence" and is NOT transferable. They are saying that each new owner must go back through the entire process every time you transfer title. Of course that is providing DMV has any cert numbers left in that particular year. They say if there are no numbers left, you don't get an exemption and register your car until you can get a number in the following year.
What a crock!!!
Is there anyone out there with any suggestions?