View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Many Arntz's and Butlers were built with small block Chevys, many with Ford engines. The chassis would fit any kind of engine, drive train and enourmous tires.

I met Ron many times while building my Arntz in the early 80's. His shop was about a mile from the office where I worked. It was alway a treat to hear his NZ accent. He could give me complex instructions right off the top of his head for things that were critical to my assembly project. I may have been able to buld my car without Ron and Brett's help, but it would have taken MUCH longer.

I was privledged to take Brett Butler (Ron's son) to lunch one day. He drove my Arntz and gave me several ideas for improvements, including the 5 speed Tremec transmission with a relocated shifter. He also recommended that I change the steering castor from 6 degrees to 3 to make the steering effort lighter. I purchased the last hardtop (that looks like a soft top) to run the Starlite Rally in 2000 and it was a very good thing that I did because it rained most of the way to Las Vegas. Reading this thread brings back many memories.