View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Ok, what's your opinion ?

I know Rick & Dave believe in building a "Torque" engine, and I agree. High HP numbers are for bragging rights. My buddy says with the hope of making 625-650 HP and TQ, in such a light weight cobra, the high TQ in the upper band,...is more important than down low, as I won't get traction anyway.

Without,..... going into detail, my 428 fell on it's face in third gear. I was NOT happy with that, so with this motor, I'll be pissed ,..... if this happens again.

There are of course many,.... details to work out, not just which manifold.

I'm sure I will stay under 6,500 rpm. Long rpm power band, not just in the upper range. Solid roller cam 496 cubes, alum. heads. (Don't' start buddy)

Edelbrock RPM- Single plane. It will fit under my hood. Longer rpm range.

Edelbrock Victor- Will have to mill the carb surface around 1/2" to fit. Since the runners are open (air gap), I'm sure cooler fuel ect....
Middle to upper rpm range.

Blue Thunder- possibly,... more cfm than the Edelbrock after machining/porting. More expensive.

I may as well open the candy jar again, with what specs. are needed for a
"Best of all worlds" side oiler. My hope is to have the entire engine, a close to perfection combination, all parts working together.

SOUND, FEEL, STREET, DRAG AND LOOKS,.... ARE ALL IMPORTANT.

Pump gas.
MPG- 8 +

Here's what we have thought so far.

Genesis side oiler.
496 cu.
425/425 bore & stroke (?)
Scat- crank & rods
Mahle- slugs.
Alum. heads. (ported/polished to the max)
Valves (?)
Mechanical roller cam. (625-570 lift, 260-275 dur. 110-108 sep.)
T & D rockers.
Lifters- (?)
Quick Fuel carb. 950 cfm.
MSD 6 AL

Let's get down to details between the heads. Pro's & Con's. and the rest of the parts, I need to decide by Tuesday May 16 th. !!!

I appreciate all your advise & opinion (except for the type of cam)..... DAVE lol (love ya buddy)

This will be as close to my dream engine, as I'll ever get. I'm very happy with all of the sponsors that are aboard for this build. I'm excited and honored, that this build will be in Car Craft and Kit Car Builder magazines !

Kev

Last edited by FUNFER2; 05-16-2010 at 11:55 AM..