Thread: Dead Cylinder
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all who have posted here...

I think I found the problem. Rick Parker sent me a message and suggested that I may have a bent throttle plate shaft on the carb that feeds the dead cylinder. I followed his advice and first adjusted the idle speed screw (increased) and then attempted to adjust the idle mixture on the dead cylinder. Once I increased the idle speed, that cylinder started to fire as indicated by a change in RPM when I adjusted the mixture. Prior to doing this, adjusting the mixture screw had no effect on that cylinder (RPM).

I played a little with all the carbs (didn’t disconnect all the linkage) and could get all of the barrels within 1 kg/H of the others. The only one that I could not get close was the “good” barrel on the “bad” carb. This leads me to believe the shaft may be bent.

I will disconnect the linkage and attempt to balance the carbs on Sunday (going to the Good Guys show tomorrow!!). Hopefully I’ll be successful; otherwise I will pull that carb and attempt to “adjust” the shaft.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions! It is great to be able to tap into the welth of experience on this site!!

I’ll keep you all posted as to the final outcome.

Gun Doc