View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You're probably right. When you were a kid, you probably knew somebody whose dad had a P&G Valve Gapper (which is pretty much what that tool is). It was one of the coolest tools you could have and you still see them from time to time on Ebay and at swap meets. But, like anything else, there's a "contrary view" as to the importance of getting your valve gaps "just perfect." In fact, here's a pretty good tidbit on valve gaps really not mattering as much as you think they would, and specifically addressing the ol' P&G Valve Gapper: http://www.dragracingonline.com/tech...sion/ii_4.html
But since it sounds like you need to re-tighten the nut anyway, it's not going to be perfect and you'd need to check it with a feeler gauge anyway - or does the Gapper tool both turn the adjusting screw and then hold it in the exact position while tightening the nut? I had to re-do the adjustment 2-3 times per valve until I figured out how "loose" it should be before I tightened the nut which would close the gap just that touch more to make it perfect.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)