View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Center Pull Linkage 351W

I know there are some other threads with a similar theme active right now, but I am looking at doing something a little different…

I have a 351W equipped with a manifold that does not have the center boss cast in to facilitate the mounting of a center pull bell crank. Consequently my Webers are actuated by a side mounted bell crank attached between the two left carbs. The right hand bank is actuated by a rod connected from the left rear carb to the right rear carb, which is linked to the right front carb via a synch screw. (see my photo gallery for the install)

This setup is NOT ideal and is, in my opinion causing undue torque being applied to the throttle shaft of the right rear carb. I currently have the right rear carb removed to attempt to straighten the twisted throttle shaft.
What I would like to attempt is to keep my side mount throttle (changing the cable looks to be a big hassle) and actuate all four carbs from the side mount, but actuate the right bank from the center, rather than the rear.
What I think might work is to mount a longer throttle lever on the left rear carb (center position) with two holes in it. I could then attach the bell crank rod to the lower hole and install a second rod in the upper hole which would actuate the reversed (upside down) throttle leavers of the two right bank carbs.

What I don’t know is if this has been done before, or if anyone is running something similar. If so it sure would make things a lot easier to know how they did it. I am sure I could figure out the geometry, but if I don’t have to and can just purchase the needed parts, I of course would rather do it the easy way.

Of course I may be way off here, too. If so, or if you have a better mouse trap, please let me know!!

Thanks,

Gun Doc