View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppster View Post
This is a help, but I did notice that the complete kit from Breeze shows a tie rod end that looks like a stock Mustang part. This is not what we have....This is getting more interesting all the time, since the car was purchased complete from a private owner.
What we have is a rod end type joint mounted to the top of the steering knuckle. I assume this was done to improve a bump steer issue? Anyhow, I am now wondering if we could even bo back to a stock set up. Is the knuckle drilled out to allow the top mounting of the tie rod?
I think the allingment is pretty good at this point. Best we can do in the garage with few tools.
Ah Ha! The root of the problem (maybe).

What you have is a bump steer kit. I have the same thing, and this may be the root of your problem. That type of bump steer kit (obviously) moves the tie rod to the top of the spindle. To go along with that, you have to use an offset bushing that will move the rack higher to match it. Otherwise the tie rods point upwards.

Some kits like that use a tapered bolt to match the stock tapered hole. And some use a straight bolt and require you to drill out the spindle - which is not an easy task. If you have a straight bolt, then you can't return it to stock parts without replacing the spindle.

You can do a good alignment in the garage, but you muct have an alignemtn tool. There's no substitute for that special tool. You either have to buy the right tools, or take it to a shop.