View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
The boom type will not work in my situation.
I do not know how well your house is constructed and your location but, here in Nebraska, we get very heavy loads of snow and for tornado's (like tonight, we're in the basement) and are built strong. I had no problem with the chain hoist or load !
In "most" cases, home and garage roof framing is done with a type of Warren truss. Although a stong support section, it has weaknesses. the top cord is by design "in compression" (forces pushing together), and the bottom cord is "in tension" (stretching). By design, a truss is designed for loading (forces down) on the top.

In certain circumstances the panel points can be used, but unless the truss was designed to support bottom cord loads you are much better off not using it. The reason is because "in general" trusses fail, they do not deflect. you would not get any notice before the truss would fail.

I am sure there are trusses that can carry a load like this (In automotive applications we use pre-determined panel points for much greater loads), but "in general" home and garage trusses are never designed to support an engine hoist, and it could be very dangerous.

E

PS You have a computer in the basement?

Last edited by Great Asp; 06-01-2010 at 07:03 PM..