View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I use a Mallory Unilite. I'v been using them on various cars for many years. Generally speaking, the module is pretty durable, and lasts a long time. But, this car is differant. I guess it's because I race it pretty regularly. But I'v had the module fail more than once. I routinly replace the module every year. And I carry a spare in the trunk.

I have not been able find much of a differance between the optical and magnetic trigger. There doesn't seem to be an advantage to either one. Mallory sells both.

I have had one cap go bad; the center carbon post went to another dimension. That's the same problem with MSD.

I have never seen any corrosion inside the distributer. Although it's generally pretty dry in CO, I have driven in driving rain and light snow. This is not a trailer queen.

The big differance to the Mallory is that the advance mechanisms are below the trigger plate. Makes it a hassle to change the timing curve. But it makes it real easyt to change the module. I like that, because I set the curve once and then leave it alone. But I change the module at least once a year. SOme people prefer the MSD for exactly the same reason.