View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Weber Linkage

Rick,
The simplest linkage on the 289-302 Weber system with opposed-facing carburetors is one with a single crossbar connecting each bank. When viewed from the front of the engine, the crossbar sits on a diagonal.

In this arrangement, one bank of carburetors is operated by a lever facing up, and the other bank is operated by a lever facing down. This offers the correct geometry with opposite-rotating throttle shafts. Activation is via a bellcrank mounted on the outboard side of the the left rear carburetor, over the valve cover.

All the other linkage arrangements seen here will work, and I am not finding fault with anyone's layout. But smooth off-idle throttle response in traffic is extremely important, as is keeping all four carburetors synchronized. By using as few linkage pieces as possible, it's an easy task.

As you develop your linkage, keep in mind that you will need a simple way to synchronize each carburetor independent of the rest (you don't want ANYTHING to move except the throttle plates of the carburetor you are setting), and you will also want the ability to raise or lower the idle speed with one master idle speed screw that effects the entire system. With Webers, simplicity is your friend.

I hope this helps you.