View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TOO Fast and unsafe unless you have an NHRA rollcage

PLDRIVE PL the RUN&GUN event has gone on for 23 years. I have been going since the early 90's. The problem is the cobras are too fast. The single hoop rollbar will not save someone on a high speed flip or roll over.
MPH is building a 1/4 mile track but will not be ready in the fall.

Years ago will had the 1/4 mile racing in the beginning of the event. What happened was too many cars broke and by day 3 we had 15-20 cars left. We started with 50-60 cars. Slicks in the rearends are breaking rearends. Only a couple of guys come with every major part in there trailers to repair the cars. I myself bring everything but a spare motor. I have spent over 10 years having better and stronger parts put into the car. One savings is street tires over slicks. Something has to give. the 335 pilots will before blowing up the rearend.

I like 1/4 mile but a 23 years safety record is alot more important than a 1/4 mile time and run. I you go to a local track in your area and get safety checked unless you have a certified rollcage, 12.50 is the fastest they allow. I ran an 11.9 at 115mph and was band from the track for a year and told not to come back for 1/4 racing. autocross and roadracing are ok.

I understand you disappointment for not having 1/4 mile racing. Sometimes I miss it too. To date will didn't have a car without power adder run in the 9.0's. There are about 10-20 cars that have been in the low 10's. This is fast for a short wheel based car and 600+ HP. This event is about more of what a owner driver has built and run. He wants to drive fast, have fun, and maybe win an award for his hard work in building the car. You also learn new things about suspension and handling of the car. Every year these car do get faster on the road courses from better setups of the car. This has been a fun event for all and that was the idea overall. Meeting people, learning new things, having a blast and wanting to return next years with improvements you did to the car over the winter. This is not a cheap hobby and most have families and other bills to pay first. I run on soda money and scrap for my car and trips. I am not alone.

I truly think you will have a good time doing autocross, roadracing around the track and barrel race. By the end of 3 days you will be ready to go home and happy with the fun you have had. The bonus is the car and driver in 1 piece.If you don't like it, I promise you will not have to come back in 2011. Rick L. Ps if coming there is a check sheet to look at. PLEASE get the correct helmet and a jacket (NOMEX) for the event.