View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #696, Ford 427/482 CO
Not Ranked     
Default Starting problems

Last summer I had starting problems. Bad noise from the starter gear and the ring gear. It turned out that I had a MSD distributor that got stuck at full mechanical advance. I tried to start the engine at about 38 degrees of timing advance. It kicked back and broke a few teeth on the ring gear and damaged the starter gear.

I have switched distributor and activated the 20 degrees start retard in my MSD box. I also switched to a new flywheel (going to fix the old one) and replaced the starter gear.

But, still I have heard some noise from the gears now and then.

Yesterday I was working on some electrical problems and when I was done I tried to start the engine. It was dead and after a few starting attempts the gears started to make more and more noise. The noise got worse so I stopped trying to start. It sounds like the starter is revving up before it engages.

The engine was dead because I had accidently disconnected the power to the MSD box at the ignition switch. The ignition was not on when I tried to start the engine.

The starter is a Powermaster XS Torque Starter. The flywheel is a McLeod aluminum. The engine is a stroked 427 center oiler.

What is the problem??? How do I fix it?