View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hexnut72 said it all! I am building an AC Cobra with a Lexus v8 in it! There are many reasons I chose this engine; they are easy to get here in New Zealand, are cheap ($1000.00 (NZ) delivered to my door with trans and computer), have good power for the dollars you pay (about 300hp stock with tube headers as opposed to a 289 stock 225hp) even more than a hipo with 271hp. They are much lighter than a Ford small block being all alloy. Plus they are 6 bolt mains, 32 valve, efi and will take forced induction without touching the internals, (they sound awesome too with sidepipes!). A good alround reliable engine that (should) go forever. If I was building a genuine 289 or 427 Cobra I would not be using anything but 289 or 427 Ford. Most of these cars are kit or aftermarket so you can really put what you want in them. Even if you use Ford (302,351,390,428 etc) you are straying away from what is true, so use what you want. If it is a replica it is always going to be a replica! If you want the real deal go buy one. Unfortunately I can't afford over $1m.