View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Euro 427, Ford 302
Not Ranked     
Default help me replace my radiator!

I need to replace my leaky radiator and am hoping for some advice on the best way to go. I have a Ford 302 which is stock, and the car is really only used for cruises. It is never raced and the hottest it gets is when I get stuck in traffic on a hot day. I see this as an opportunity to replace some of my old European parts with some standard US ones.

Like most Cobras, (i think) , the rad sits lower than the engine and I am limited to 28 inches wide 16 inches total height and about 5 inches total thickness for the radiator and the fan(s).

Currently I have an passenger side inlet (top) hose and drivers side outlet. Due to the angle of the stock water neck the inlet hose is the highest point of the circulation.

Now here's where I dont have answers:

I am thinking of replacing the neck with a straight or swivel to reduce the height of the inlet hose, and fitting a drivers-side-inlet radiator and have the filler and cap in the inlet hose itself. Does anyone use this type of set up? Any advantages? If my new radiator also has a filler cap, does that matter (it would never get used)?

My stock water neck has a heater bypass which I dont need. Is a straight or swivel neck a direct replacement? Do they block off the flow for the heater bypass or do I need a special gasket or adapter? (I dont want to replace my manifold or water pump!)

Considering the use of the car, is there a way to calulate if a single row radiator will provide sufficient cooling? I am thinking of twin 12" puller fans fitted diagonally across a slim 2" (24x16) radiator like this which has a single row of 1" pipes http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380645/

I am hoping to get my ducks in a row before i press the order button and start spending money. If anyone has any thoughts or advice, it would be appreciated

John