View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default First Drive

Not really a drive, more of a test run.

I've had my car ready pretty much driveable and awaiting the trimmers' call for weeks so the frustration got the better of me yesterday.

What the hell I thought.......living in a rural area, unfortunately peppered with very enthusiastic Highway Patrol Ossifers, my major concern was getting busted unregistered etc etc.

Anyway, with no dash and the seat just sitting on the floor I gingerly did a few laps up and down the road out front.

I note that i have not driven or even passengered in a Cobra before so this first experience of raw mongrel motoring was awesome.

Apart from finding minor probs like the throttle spring is too soft and the handbrake is dragging on the rear drums a bit the major drama is there's a whole lota banging going on in the rear end caused by too small a clearance between the Nissan mounts and the chassis. When i first bolted it all up 18 months ago I worried that the Nolathane bushes may move a little and cause this problem........should have fixed it then There was clearance there but obviously not enough.

So i spent yesterday dropping it all out, cutting a bit more steel away and fabricating new cover plates to weld back in............all in a days work for a Cobra builder (rebuilder)

I bet the trimmer calls tomorrow and wants the car straight away