View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I am a big fan of the Old School approach of going to a Rebuild House for starter and alt.
We are lucky enough to have a rebuilder here in my area who has been at it for 30 + years. After explaining what I needed out of my alternator and some of the added demands of a race environment but street driven demands he came up with the perfect part for me anyway.

He alters the pulley ratio so it charges more at idle RPM but a deep groove pulley so it does not toss belts at high RPM. He uses better bearings and type for reliability and uses a better electronic regulator with cooling fins on the body used for use in police cars for extra demand. He does other stuff or tricks years of experience have taught him but it all seems to work great.

I am not selling this part or even listing numbers as thats not my point here, in the end it is a GM alt. anyway. My point is check with a guy that specializes in what you need and challenge him to build you a Hot Rod. The cost was a few bucks more than a stock rebuild but reasonable.