View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4au View Post

funny thing on the lead thing... our employees would warm their food over the smelters back in the day, we put a stop to that but never was there an increase in lead levels from year to year. I guess you do have to actually eat it to see a rise, so yes that was good advice for your son.
I got to use mine a few weekends ago. I pulled all 4 wheels and cleaned brake dust goo that was all over them. It took almost all day. I only used one side of the hammer and probably have 3 or 4 more full changes (12 remove, replace) cycles on that side. It'll last me a long time.

About lead... When I was a kid our family went fishing alot. We used a lot of sinkers. My dad was a commercial builder, hospitals and nursing homes, and he got rolls of the sheet lead they used in the X-ray rooms. Melted it in a plumber's lead pot and poured it into the sinker molds.

I also leaded a lot of cast iron pipe (using the same lead pot). At that time the building codes still required all underground plumbing (e.g., under a basement floor) to be cast iron. You could transition to plastic above grade. Cast pipe would have "oakum" stuffed into the seam and hot lead poured over that to seal it.

Thanks for the