View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I feel with hydraulic roller and "aggressive" cams as compared to street, not racing engines the zinc and phosphorous play a key roll. One of the advantages to roller cams is aggresive cam profiles, ie, steep ramps, high lift,etc. This requires "high" valve spring pressures when compared to street, ie, 350lb -450lb open as compared to street 275 lb open, not to mention overhead cams are much easier on the camshaft itself. If you have a pushrod v-8 with anything over 400 hp, and turning anything over 5300 rpm, your camshaft, rocker arms, pushrods, roller bearing in your lifters would really appreciate the zinc and phosphoous.

Needless to say the next question is what weight, I like that Brad Penn offers 15W40, a nice medium between 10W30 and 20W50 (much much to think in 99% of applications) If you live in the rust belt use 10W30, if you live south of the rust belt 15W40.

Additivies are a pain in the a$$$$$ and run $10.00 for 5 quarts. By the time you are done you are at the same price as Brad Penn etc.