View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default FE Intake Manifold/Gasket Installation

I've been reading all the treads I can find in the FE forum on intake manifold installation, but still not sure on some of the details to install the manifold/gaskets; but first, a little background on my problem. I have a Blue Thunder medium rise on a Pond Alum block (482 KC). I have a leaking intake manifold gasket (assuming) with coolant getting into Cylinder #8 (after about 1,600 miles). Inspecting the gasket around #8, the gasket creeped creating a leak path from the cooling passage to the intake port. There isn't much gasket between the water port and the intake port. I can lift the gasket in this area. I think this is the smoking gun.

Anyway, now I need to reinstall the manifold. I bought the Felpro 1246 steel reinforced gaskets, The Right Stuff Sealer. I assume I will need to match the gasket to the intake port holes. The intake ports are massive in the KC heads.

1. What’s the best way to match cut a steel sandwich gasket to the exact port size of the head/intake port?

2. What’s the rubber disk in the gasket set use for?

3. Where do you apply “The Right Stuff”? Around all intake and cooling passage port openings, Only around cooling passage ports.

4. Is it best to use the Cork gaskets included in the kit for the front and back of the valley. If yes, I assume I should apply a beat of “The Right Stuff” on both sides?

Your Best Practices for installing gaskets appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!