View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Anthony- What are your cam specs & how do you like the solid on the street ?
about .680 lift, duration about 255-260 @ 0.050

Solids make more power than a similar spec hydraulic roller, from what I have seen, above 5000 rpm's.

There are drawbacks.

1. with an all aluminum engine, at ambient temperature about 70 F, the valve lash needs to be about 0.015 tighter to get the desired lash at operating temp. I have found it very difficult to start when the temp is below 50 F, sometimes impossible, as the lash is then too tight. Cast iron block is friendlier in cold weather.

2. With the stiffer springs, things can break easier, ie rocker arms.

3. Sometimes there is severe galling at the pushrod-rocker cup, but, from the various solid roller lifters I have seen, the ones with oiling to the roller bearings (crane, crower, jesel), the lifters also have an oil feed hole in their pusrod cup, and will likely oil feed the top of the pushrod if running hollow pushrods, and may eliminate that issue.

I'm still on the fence whether I should have gone hydraulic roller or not. My friend has a KC 482" FE hydraulic roller, dyno'd by KC with 600 HP at the flywheel. My engine is stronger by seat of the pants guaging. At another chasis dyno, not the one where I had my car done, his car dyno'd at about 400 rwhp and 400 rwtq. He runs an edelbrock performer rpm, and holley 950 or something like that.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."