View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
I dunno Les, with the price that private enterprise is charging us all for water these days (I shudder at a national broadband that is handed over to similar commercial interests!) North QLD may not be a cheap option either.
The whole NBN deal is just the Govm'nt trying to fix the F@ck up of selling Telstra off. If they hadn't sold it they could have used it as the NBN and wholesaled service to all the other carriers. Private companies have no interest in providing services where there is no potential for profit where a government owned utility doesn't see it that way. Selling Telstra was just another short sighted policy decision i.e. as far as the next bloody election.

I feel the same way about the government selling off all the other public utilities. Doing this means these things are now controlled by profit and not by public need. With them still controlled by the government it's just a policy decision to do the right thing. For example Green Power, If the electricity companies were still state owned they could just go and build wind turbines and solar arrays. There doesn't have to be the motivation of making a buck for the share holders because in the end we are all the share holders and our interest is the environment.

Don't get me started...

Cheers